The CLE-test (Continous Laryngoscopy during Exercise) was first published in 2006 by Heimdal et.al.
United States Patent ApplicationNo. 11/134551
How do we perform the CLE-test?
1. First we apply some anesthetic spray into the nose.
2. Secondly, we insert a thin laryngoscope through a mask, via the nose, to get a good view over the larynx. (If you look in to the mouth you will see the tip of the laryngoscope behind the uvula).
3. The laryngoscope is then attached to a head rack.
4. We do a full Cardiopulmonary Exercise test (CPET) together with the CLE test, using a modified Bruce protocol. All patients run until exhaustion or until symptoms do not allow them to continue. The test usually lasts between 7-12 minutes.
5. The youngest patient to perform this test was 5 years old and the oldest 72 years of age.